Tuesday, July 05, 2011

Week One with our sweet Little Man


It's been 10 days since we welcomed Little Man into our home and hearts, and this week has flown by in a blur.  A good blur.  A busy blur.  A sweet blur.  A hopeful blur. 

Little Man has been such a cool customer through this big change he's gone through.  For the first two or so days, he really didn't cry.  He got upset when he wasn't wanting the rest of his bottle, or we weren't feeding him fast enough and he was waiting in his high chair... but he didn't really cry.  We sorta thought that was going to be his personality. He'd bonk his head, no crying... etc..   But now, after he's grown comfortable here, we see that while he is a mellow, easy-going guy, he does cry!  And he has this adorable frown/sad face before he starts crying if he's overtired, hungry, or got a bonk.  His sad face really is so cute, and he's easily comforted. 


These couple pictures from the park were on his 3rd day with us.  Gabi was up to her usual sneaky snack stealing from other people's diaper bags, and Little Man fell fast asleep in my arms since we were out during naptime.  He wiggled and squirmed to settle down, but within a minute or two he was down for the count. 


This was his first night with us... it was almost bedtime and we were enjoying the nice evening outside.  Aren't babies in footie jammies the cutest?? 


Also on day 1, Gabi couldn't stop hugging him.  Not a clear photo, but clear enough to see how much she loves her new roomie.  There are times I have to tell her to stop hugging him.  Like today.  She also loves to rub his hair down, since it sticks straight up like little duck feathers.  Gabi really does love him, and she is very gentle with him.  We are having so much fun with him.  

And his giggle is really the cutest baby giggle I've ever heard.  It's so unexpected coming out of his boyish chubby body!   He giggles easily, and has some really ticklish spots.  


And it would do you no service if I were to just gloss all of this over, and pretend that everything is perfect.  It's good, really good.  But I'm human, and I have faults.  One of my major downfalls, is letting my imagination run wild.  And bringing Little Man into our family has brought it's own set of concoctions I've made up in my mind.  I've been having thoughts/fears running through my head in regards to the fact that  we're not the first home he's lived in (duh, he was 9 months when he came)and  that he'll just think we're a short-term hang out and that he'll think he won't have to attach to us.  Ever. ever. 

 I know, completely irrational.  And unfounded.  Attachment disorders generally come from deeper rooted traumatic issues in the child's past.  He has none. 

For God has not given us a spirit of fear, but of power and of love and of a sound mind.
2 Timothy 1:7

I remind myself (or God does) of this often.  Fear is of our enemy.  God has given us this child, and obviously He sees fit for us to be this baby's family.  So no matter what we're gonna trust Him. 

Back to the story... 



He has made strong attachements before (big plus), and we're confident he can do it again.  Plus, his young age helps a bunch in this area.  I try not to let my mind go there, and I also try not to be hurt that he doesn't want to just lay on my shoulder and cuddle when he wants to play, and instead tries to lean over, practically out of my arms to get back to his toys.  But then I remember that none of our other children wanted to do that at 10 months of age!  They want to get back to playing!  We're taking our time letting him know he can trust us, and we're here for the long haul with him.  We can't thank the family who loved him last enough for the amazing care they took of him and the deep loved they showed him.  This has made all the difference for him I think. 

We have seen positive gains in the attachment area everyday.  The first two days or so, he didn't really follow us around, or crawl up to us if we were sitting on the floor with him.  And now, 10 days later, he reaches for me when someone else is holding him.  (yes!)  Lights up when we enter his room to get him out of bed in the morning.  (yes!)  Crawls up to me and pulls up to a stand on my legs when I'm sitting down playing with him.  (yes!)  Falls asleep in our arms when we're out at naptime.  (yes!)  Crawls after us in the house, and loves to be chased on hands and knees by us or the kids.  (yes!)  Cries a good healthy cry when he's sad, because he knows we'll comfort him and he's loved.  (YES!) 

It's really good to look back and see how far we've all come in just 10 short days.  In no time, it'll be as if he was here all along.  I learned with Gabrielle's coming a year ago, that it takes time.  You love them instantly, and would do anything you need to do to take care of them - but that bond takes time to form.  And it comes with patience and perserverance.  Two things we're more than willing to give to Little Man. 



This Little Man is definitely going to be getting used the all things girl with three older sisters.  He is quite literally surrounded in pink.  :)  We made his side of the room as manly as can be right now, ha ha. 


"Watch closely, Little Man, this is how you play peek-a-boo."


"See?  Isn't this fun?"

3 comments:

Ryan & Carly said...

Love it!

Unknown said...

sweet little dude!!!!! I just Love Gabster and this brother :) they are such cute buddies for each other!!!! Sure wish I could come play. Love you Sister <3

Anonymous said...

PRICELESS!!! I love how Gabi is showing Little Man how Peek-A-Boo is played. Plus I love the picture of her giving him a hug, and the one of you holding him while he's sleeping.
In Christ,
Bethany