Now that we told our kids I'm pregnant one week ago on Thanksgiving, they've been discussing it constantly. Our oldest, Drew (11), from the time he found out is desperate for us to be having twins. A boy and a girl. (Gulp) As if I haven't had enough of my own twin imaginings myself.
Drew has been begging me to pray for twins. I keep telling him that it's already what it's gonna be. One boy, one girl, or two. And I certainly wasn't going to ask for them. But he insists that I need to pray for twins.
Yesterday, I finally asked, "Why do you want twins so badly? Do you have any idea how much extra work that would be? I'd be up all night long!!" (If it is twins, we would gladly welcome the gift, mind you.)
He answered swiftly and certainly, "Mom, that could be like 100 more people who would hear about God."
Humbled. Stopped in my tracks. And I had no other reason to argue against twins.
Wow, these children sure have a way of bringing me back around to God's truth and what truly matters.
In-Between
9 years ago


2 comments:
Isn't that the truth! I think your oldest and mine are quite alike. I can imagine Jesse saying the same thing. Children have such an amazing perspective on what we teach them to believe.
Love the post, Amanda. Drew certainly does sound like a crack up. I think I kind of see both sides to this. I see your side: You're thinking about all the work of having a new baby times two. Being up all night and so forth. Drew's side: He's thinking about more people to spread the Gospel. My oldest nephew, Ethan, was praying for twins for awhile too. I don't know if he's still praying for that at this point in time, but he was. He was asking his Mama, Heather if she could please ask Jesus to give them twins, a boy and a girl. WOW!!! Can't believe Drew is 11 already! I am very close friends with your cousins and your Aunt and Uncle who live here in Oregon. Your cousins, Anna and Ellie, had me laughing all afternoon about all the Drewisms they had heard, and that was several years ago. Rejoicing always with you for the upcoming arrival of Baby Bacon. Oh, and I myself have always thought that having twins would be fun too. However, it would be twice the work. Rest well.
In Christ,
Bethany
Post a Comment