Sunday, May 01, 2011

the simplest things

The simplest things make me so thankful. 

Annika wearing my boots and
making her trademark funny face,
makes me so thankful we trusted
 God and had another baby. 



Gabi's sweet, sleepy face makes me
so thankful I still have a "carseat" baby. 


Hours spent by my boys building card
 towers makes me so thankful for
 my boys' creativity and ingenuity. 



The simplest things like a baby
 entertaining herself with toys
 on a blanket, make me so thankful
 I'm home and not missing all this. 

A good old-fashioned wooden jigsaw
 puzzle makes me feel like I'm in simpler days. 

We try to be simple. 




Such a beautiful puzzle... the kids and
 I huddled around it for nearly
 an hour putting it together. 
 There are hidden shapes and
animals throughout. 

Beauty!


The simplest things like a husband
with a bright green thumb
planting you your very
 own herb garden lifts the spirits
when you do dishes. 


That same green thumb made me
some beautiful plant starts as well. 


I'll try my best not to kill them. 
They're strategically positioned by the
 water faucet for the best
possible chance at life. 


Things like "mom's only" blackboard chalk
 and the kid's jar of chalk pieces are lovely to me. 

Simple things give me great pleasure. 
 Our world is far from simple,
but we do our best to be
as unplugged as possible and
 as intentional as possible. 

What simple things give you pleasure? 


2 comments:

sacra vim said...

Beautiful post!

Some of our simplicity...I love plants growing in glass bottles full of water. Real paper notebooks for writing in lieu of a pre-printed language arts curriculum. Baskets of board books and shelves of hundreds of other books. Our decor is mostly just plants, candles, pictures...and yarn, I guess. :) And our kids thrilled me today - we cut down trees this afternoon and they were fascinated with turning the tree into their own playset, teeter totter and all. Who needs a giant storebought swingset contraption? :D

JJ said...

Just a few--because SIMPLE pleasures are the best!! fresh flowers in a vase--any kind really--especially the picked-with-love Dandelions or dead Queen Anne's Lace (does that qualify as "fresh"?)!

Books, books, books--the more and varied locations the better...but I love that we all prefer this to computer or movies...

The sound of my children playing the piano...girlhood-dream-come-true for me...

Boys whittling Willow sticks on the back porch with a glass of lemonade between them...

The beauty

Setting the butterflies we raised from caterpillars free...and watching the complex emotions of the boys--joy at their winged-friends new freedom, sadness at the loss, worry they'll be ok, faith that God will keep them. What good daddies these guys will be some day...

Classic sound of chubby toddler feet on the floor

made-by-Great-Grandma afghans to cuddle under

The sound of my boys playing outside while I'm inside with the windows open...LOVE THAT


WHERE DID YOU GET THAT PUZZLE??????