Saturday, April 16, 2011

sanity preserved

These days are all about enjoying my children and preserving my sanity at the same time. 

I'm sure I'll think of more later, but these are a couple of sanity preservers that I use around the house!

The first is keeping library books all in one spot.  They're read in the living room nearly always, but if the kids take them to their room to read at night they bring them back the the library book spot when they're done.  This saves the frantic last-minute search on the day they're due.  I also keep the printed list given at the library in the pocket of my calendar and write the due date (a day early) on the calendar too. 

We LOVE the library.  Can you tell the last trip was a girls only one?  


My second sanity preserver really is no big deal, but it sure helps me and the kids out! 
The kids keep the same water cups all day long.  After a meal, we line them up on the counter youngest to oldest so we all know whose cup is whose.  Then they can come get a drink anytime of the day and know which one is theirs!  Simple but so helpful. 



What saves your sanity with your kids?




3 comments:

Rachel said...

same thing. library books by the door on a cabinet and water cups that each kid has their own color. another is a basket by the back door for shoe and flip flops. And another is a baby gate that clicks open and shut and keeps little ones out of my office.

JJ said...

I like your water glass idea; I'm totally gonna try that!

We do something similar with the library books. After several hefty library fines (!) we started using a "Library Book Box". The boys know that all borrowed books must stay in the box unless they are in their hands, being read. When it's time for another library run, I can just grab the box and take it with us to return and refill.

Another sanity saver we implement in this house is keeping all the boys' clothing in one closet. Well, all except the current baby's, as the nursery is upstairs. There is an area on the hanging pole labeled for each boy, and 3 baskets for each boy. For example, Noah has an area on the pole labeled "Noah" for all the shirts that fit him, plus baskets on the shelving below. The baskets are labeled, "Noah's Pajamas", "Noah's Socks/Underwear", and "Noah's Pants". This is a HUGE time-saver when it comes time to put away laundry!

One more thing we do is keep all the board games and other games with itty-bitty parts in a large cabinet with a BABY LOCK on it. PHEW! What a relief! We no longer have toddlers littering parts to 15 board games all over the house while we're homeschooling!

Allison Reynolds said...

We do the same thing with our cups for our five kids...except I color coded them. I bought about three cups a piece for each child...and they have the same color every day. I used to do it the way you did, but my little ones would forget what they started with. This worked better for us:)