
Yesterday afternoon, Drew found this little chickadee left for dead in an old swimming pool behind our shed! He was freezing and laying on his tummy in some standing water. We have no idea how he got there or if he fell out of a nest or what... BUT we're so glad Drew found him when he was sneaking up an Annabelle, our doggy, yesterday!
We brought the bird inside, who looked like he would die any minute. We wrapped him in towels to get him warm and slowly he started to stand up and let us hold him on our hands and shoulders. He never gave any hint that he could fly. He accompanied me on my shoulder as I picked up the house. I felt like a cross between Mary Poppins and Dr. Dolittle for a while there. A bit later, when we were outside and he was standing on Gavin's shoulder, he took off all of the sudden and landed in a tree above us... next thing we knew he was off singing in the sky above us! I was wishing we could keep him and that he would need us to care for him, but we're so glad he was feeling better and we could rescue him from a certain death in the birdy-hypothermic water.
I think I'm realizing more and more that I love taking in anyone or anything that needs us. It feels great to provide love and warmth. I think I could love anything or anyone. Sure, there are some unlovely people in the world, but there's just something about a child or a frail animal that screams LOVE ME to this lady. This little chickadee helped me realize that!
I guess that's how God may view us... those unlovely at times, frail, children that need Him.. He wraps us up in the warmth of all that He is and carries us along.
Hoping that we'll stay and be awhile.
He looks pretty awful in these pictures, (as do I!) he dried off and became all fluffy and perfect again. Bye-Bye Birdy, come back anytime!!!


1 comments:
awwww....loved this post! Quite the contrast to the DEAD robin my girls found today! No one came to his rescue and loved on him:l What a great analogy to share with your kids. Don't you love those teachable moments that you couldn't plan if you tried?!!! God is good. Indeed!
Post a Comment