Monday, January 12, 2009

should I laugh? cry? or both?

It was one of those days... started off great, got crazy/frustrating in the middle, and ended beautifully. AND I could have used one of these thingamajigs today! What is it, you ask? It's a Banana Guard of course! Isn't it hilarious? But ingenious? They even have one that comes in Radiant Red... I'm not too sure I'd describe one of these as "radiant". But that's the one I'd choose. And the shape leaves much to be desired, but did they have a choice? I think not.

Okay, so here's the story. The day started with a great morning of school, we had a snack mid-way and finished around 1pm. Then before free time, Gavin, Drew and I were sharing the bathroom. They were brushing their teeth, and I was fixing my hair. I was wearing a tank top and Drew looks over at me and says.. "Mom, it looks like you have something under your arm! It looks like whiskers or something." And Gavin pipes up, "Yeah, Drew. Mom has whiskers under her arms." As if it was old news to him. I said, "Well, when you become an adult, you'll get hair under your arms too. But I just shaved it yesterday." They were all bewildered by that and quickly moved on to something else. While I had a good hearty laugh.

Annika took a 3 hour nap, which was great and the day was going smoothly. Then the kids were excused for some free time before we headed to town for art lessons. This was a make up class for their first class they missed last week! So I started packing the diaper bag, ran Annika's carseat cover through the wash, and got things cleaned up so we could leave the house at the right time. Then I remembered that the cell phone battery was getting low, so I dug it out of my bag. Enter the banana. I threw a banana in my bag yesterday on the way to church, because I usually eat my breakfast on the way to save time at home. But I was too full after my english muffin to eat it. It was never thought of again. Fast forward 24 hours. I reach my hand down into my bag to fish out my phone. I dug under my wallet to find something mushy laying on top of my phone. yuck

Yup, it's my banana that is now brown and mushed all over the outside and inside (even under the battery) of my poor phone. I wiped it up, not really thinking anything of it until I flipped it open to find the screen blank, the buttons not functioning, and I was unable to turn it off. So I put it in the diaper bag thinking that the girls and I would run to the phone store and have it fixed real quick while the boys were in art class for an hour and a half.

So we got in the van without another hitch after I packed 4 water bottles, pb&j's, and my workout bag ready for class tonight. I even let the kids watch a movie in our new van on the way. Things were looking up. We arrived 10 min. early to find out that we were an hour early! Hmmm.. this threw a hitch in all of my plans for the afternoon. I had 2 places to run and Jeremy to meet there to trade cars/kids so I could get to my workout at 6:15.

So we tromped back to the van, and headed to get the phone looked at. The agent was unable to fix it herself and announced that it would have to be serviced in Anchorage and we may need to buy a new phone. :( Okay... so back we went to the real start of art class. The boys were settled in class at 4:30, so I decided to try to squeeze in the other errand I had before I was meeting Jeremy back at the studio at 5:00. Which was the original ending of their class, when we would trade vehicles and I would head off to some time to myself and kickboxing. We made a mad dash to Target. (enter the hallelujah chorus) And made our exchange, then heading into the store to find the two items I needed. They had neither.

So got back in the car, then back to the studio. We made it before 5:00 to meet Jeremy. It was then as Morgan and I were reading a book in the van waiting for Daddy, that I noticed my gym bag was no longer on the front seat where I "left" it. I had hung it on the front door, where I always hang things that need to make it to the van when I'm heading somewhere.. and it wasn't there! At first I thought my car didn't lock like I thought it did and someone swiped it while I was in Target, because it looked like a purse sitting there. But once I thought about it for a bit, I realized I left it hanging on the door. :(

This was a big deal, because it was the first class I was going to go to since our van-less existence the past 2 weeks and since she reopened after New Year's. I was ready to head back. So I was so bummed...

Jeremy arrived and I told him the happenings of the last 2 hours . He listened as tears rolled down my cheeks. In the grand scheme, none of it was really that big of a deal... but all in one day? I was just too much for this lady. Instead of still taking some time for myself, I decided to head home with the fam. I just didn't feel like leaving them tonight.

As I drove down our road leading up to our house, I was laughing to myself. Then I saw it and laughed harder. The extension cord from our block heater on the van was stretched halfway down the driveway. Of course I forgot to unplug it before I drove off! We came inside and reheated leftovers for dinner. And lo and behold... as I was handing out drinks, I spilled an entire glass of water across the table. Just perfect. But the day was redeemed by Game Night. Jeremy started Monday game nights last fall. Morgan picked Candyland and guess what? I didn't even come in last. And now all are in bed. And I'm sitting with a cup of tea and my laptop. Sigh. It was a great day that makes me appreciate those "boring" days even more.

5 comments:

Rachel said...

Hey, at least you didn't spill that cup of tea on your laptop. Funny, yet frustrating day. Thanks for sharing! Hope today is going better.

JJ said...

Ohhhh Girl. I hear ya. That banana protector is just really too much, though!

Unknown said...

WHEW Sister! That is a doosie of a day but one worth laughing at now thats its past! The armpit hair comment is perfect...I can totally hear that conversation :) Good story, way to keep it real on bloglang!

The invites printed beautfully...I sent out to 30 families which could mean a catastrophic crowd. I figure, RICE can go a long way right?
Love ya, Jen

Sarah said...

I had to comment on this Amanda, because my grandpa needs that banana-case. He's a retired rocket scientist (really) and once when they came to B.C. for a visit from Arizona, we took him hiking. It was a hot, beautiful summer day and we hiked a really tough hike, because he always brags about being in good shape. All the way to the top he talked about how good it was gonna be to get to the top and enjoy his banana. I remember wondering where the fruit was, as he carried no pack. Finally reaching the top, we heard him mutter under his breath and looked over at him. He was just pulling his hand out of his front pocket, which contained banana puree.
Now just imagine how much fun my friends and I had with the "banana-in-your-pocket joke!

Jessica said...

Amanda-
I am so glad I read this today. Not that anything tramatic has happened to me today, but it somehow makes me feel motivated to get something good done while I am having a good day. You never know what tomorrow will bring!
I'm ganna go take a shower and do the dishes. Thanks for sharing!!! I am now appreciating my day!