Sunday, January 18, 2009

My first published article!


Last week, I started submitting an article I wrote about Valentine's Day to various small newspapers; one local last week, then 3 out of state this weekend. I heard back from our local paper early last week, briefly stating that they were interested in reading it. I hadn't heard if they liked it or if it ended up in some inbox recylcle bin. This evening, I got a big surprise! My Dad and Marla Kay stopped by to congratulate me on the published article! HUH?? The Frontiersman published it in today's paper! I had no idea they were using it. So Jeremy drove up to the post office to snag a couple copies for us to read! I'll have to admit, I was a bit embarassed to have them read it right in front of me... At least with blogging, I don't have to sit with someone while they read a post. It was there alright, on the Opinion page... which I wasn't expecting... AND they put my personal email address on there for people to contact me! Yikes.
It was super exciting, but a bit disappointing at the same time... a sentence was mutilated when they stuck a title box over part of the article... they changed my title... and didn't write back with even a short note to tell me it was being published and when! I've learned a lot and am grateful that it was that easy to get an article published locally. It is really fun to see something you've written in print!
I've been doing tons of research on freelance writing this past month and have learned a bunch about the business. I am eager to submit more. Though it's a scary affair that isn't for the impatient! Waiting is so hard for this gal.
If you want to read it, they published it online as well:

8 comments:

Unknown said...

IT is GREAT SIS!!!!! You did a great job...well written, cute, and practical :) Just what people like to read! How did you pick the subject? I'm so glad you are following through with your dream of writing, while all of us get to benefit from your great style:)
Love ya, Jen

Rachel said...

Yeah! I'll be the first to congratulate you! Very good article. Way to inspire people to share their love with meaningful words, instead of getting caught up in the costly gifts. Thanks for sharing!

hashbrowns said...

Congratulations, dear friend... I am thrilled for you and thrilled that my community will read the words and perspective of so gracious a woman.

sacra vim said...

Way to go, you published author, you!!! You're getting a hard copy of that paper, aren't you?

Anonymous said...

way to go, amanda! love the article...mike and i keep a special notebook earmarked for writing to one another. it's a treasure, you're right!

kristy

ps-our iTunes playlists would get along great ;)

Leslie said...

wow congratulations. i just read the article and i think it is a fantastic idea. i think my husband and i could use the chance to reflect. i loved it

Ryan & Carly said...

Yay! I am so excited for you!!!

Unknown said...

Wow, that was well written, indeed! Girl, it won't be long before your work is no longer in the opinion section and you will be in the lifestyles page or bigger!!! Keep up the great work...you are inspiring!