These past couple of weeks I've been overwhelmed when doing things as mundane as the dishes, thinking... I have running water. Amazing. Imagine how thankful a mother in the Amazon jungle or in a village in Africa would be to do my pile of dirty dishes? I have heat. Amazing.
Why me? Why us? Why aren't I trying to be a wife and mother in the midst of poverty, pain, and hunger? Why am I here living an amazing life, with a beautiful family? Why did God choose me? Do you ever wonder the same? I know he holds the answers... but sometimes I wish she, whoever she is, could taste the goodness.
I've taken for granted healthy babies, and safe pregnancies.
I've taken for granted my devoted, doting, loving, serving, amazing husband that chooses to be home with us every second he can.
I've taken for granted being able to own a Bible and read it at my own will. Drew and I had a conversation about China this week, and about our friends who live there, and how they don't experience our same freedom of religion in China.
I've taken for granted a pantry full of food. Lately I've been broken-hearted about Ethiopia in particular and the millions and millions of orphans there. (America has around 130,000 legally free to adopt orphans.) I've read that a famine may be coming that is worse than the 80's.
I've taken for granted my transportation. When others I know walk. Even in our snowy wonderland.
Taken for granted no more! I am so thankful for all of these things and so many, many more.
I know God has me plunked down right in this very spot for a reason, whatever may come my way.

Well, we got a little Martha-y this week.... (stole ideas from Sarah C. and Rachel K.) The other day, we made Thankful Wreaths with the kid's handprints. We wrote on the hands what they are thankful for. Even little Annika let me trace her chubby hand. She thought it was kinda funny!
Some of the things they are thankful for were hilarious and some were beautiful and sweet. I guess that sums up our kids pretty well: funny & sweet!

And here are our Turkey Cookies. We made them tonight to put at each place setting tomorrow. They are super easy to make, the kids had fun jamming the candy corn into the double stuff oreo as feathers. I think the directions are found at Family Fun. Right, Rach?
Usually, I think about these kind of things to do with the kids, then don't get around to getting the right things from the store when we need them... but this time I was determined to make them in time!
Happy Thanksgiving!


1 comments:
I love how creative and resourceful you are! In these hard financial times, we all have to be huh? Just an fyi, I have a cookie exchange every year and go to Marthastewart.com to get free craft ideas and downloads. There are great ones this year such as snowflakes made of pipecleaners and borax. They are so cute and easy! Also, this year they have really cute kids giftags. I had some adult ones from last year I can send you too which turns into a gift for someone when put with a plate of cookies. I will e-mail the two I have! Blessings, Juie
Post a Comment