Saturday, July 19, 2008

a MUST read


There are a few (a lot) of "social issues" in this country that send me on a major soap box, and this book touches on several of them! I'm not usually into politics and that sort of thing. And never before have I used this blog to mention any of those, but I am very into anything that has to do with our health and cover-ups by the ones we should be able to trust in the name of money... (think water supplies, pesticides, airborne poison, autism, vaccines, breast cancer, etc... they're all covered here)
I ran into the public library to return some books this afternoon while my family patiently waited in the car. I can't enter a library without walking through the isles to see if a book catches my interest. Well, I walked out of the library with about 8 books on subjects that range from vegetables to cooking to vaccines to my book club book to juices & smoothies to THIS.
I couldn't wait to jump into it. I've been sitting on the couch since we arrived home a couple hours ago and have been devouring it ever since. I'm now half way through the book and may finish it by the time my head hits the pillow. It seriously makes me want to do something. So I figured the best thing I could do about it all at this moment was to tell all of you about it! A lot of the issues talked about in the book were issues I was already concerned about and being proactive about for our family, but I was astonished by countless others. And can I just make one recommendation before you read this book??
STOP eating Tuna! I knew about mercury levels when the whole thing came out about Tuna containing dangerous levels of mercury, but I innocently assumed that it would be taken care of for the safety of our nations consumers. Boy, was I wrong! (I learned there is nothing that can be done! You can't buy your way around the tuna problem! No options for "organic" tuna.)
To make an amazingly interesting chapter short... basically, mercury gets to our ocean's creatures by pollution that originates in coal-fired plants. "First, it pollutes the surrounding air, then, in an inexorable cycle, it drifts with the wind and rains down into the ocean water." So basically, once it settles in the sea, it begins to contaminate the smallest creatures first. The it quickly moves through the food chain... ending with the largest fish, like tuna, holding the largest levels of mercury. Yuck! You have to get your hands on this book! And the "good" albacore tuna is the worst, it holds 3 times the amount of mercury as the regular kind. It is disasterous to your health. Especially our children, babies, and unborn. SO..... not to be a bummer of a friend, but we Americans are WAY too trusting. The amount that the FDA says is beneficial for your health is absolutely not. "If American women follow the FDA's advice and eat a can of albacore tuna a week, a bad situation will be made far, far worse."
There are a few more major issues that I haven't yet gotten to in the book. The tagline on the front of the book states, "Startling new evidence about the real causes of cluster illnesses, birth defects, cancer, asthma, and autism."
I'm sure I'll have more soap boxes to jump onto after finishing the book. But for now, I think that's enough "food" for thought!

5 comments:

Unknown said...

TUNA!!!! Oh snap....just bought Sams club whit albacore too this week! We only eat tuna like once a month when the cuboards are empty...ya think were doomed really??? Sounds like a fun read, but stressful too! Let me know what else you learn..vaccinations especially :) Cant wait to see you!!!!! Love, Jen

Elizabeth said...

Nathan was very excited to hear the "no tuna" announcement around here...he doesn't like tuna at all! :D Thanks for sharing what you're learning, I'm going to have to see if I can get that book at the library here!

JJ said...

Ohhh boy, Amanda....this is a topic you and I should not get into together unless we really feel like stressing and soap-boxing significantly! Our roller coaster with the food safety issue and FDA (not to mention immunizations and a whole host of other like topics) began when Eaglet was struggling with his food allergies. We spent hours and hours reading and researching. The things we found out were less than encouraging. Wish I could say tuna was the only thing we should be wary of, but it's barely the tip of the iceberg. Praise the LORD He'll be making us a new, perfect Earth one day!

Anonymous said...

And that, folks, is why (at least in part..)I am a vegetarian! It truly makes my life so much simpler! You don't hear the FDA recalling too many tomatoes.. oops, or did they? :) (I did that one on purpose!) Seriously, even among us "veggies" there are still scary things! It is just sad to me what sinful humanity has done to what God created and originally called, "Good". By the way, Amanda, I like your blog! :)

Leslie said...

that is a great book recommendation...that is going on my wish list of books i must read soon.