Tuesday, October 12, 2010

I was feeling ambitious...


Yesterday was a great day... I know I mentioned that before.

It was great because some of the health issues/back & neck issues I've been dealing with were nearly non-existent.  It was wonderful.  I felt so good, that I became extremely ambitious.  Those kinds of days have been rare, so I needed to take advantage.  We had a great school day,  I was feeling nostalgic, I had chicken noodle soup in the crockpot at noon, then decided I could give canning blueberry jam a try!  Jeremy has been canning things a couple times a year for the past few years... But truly?  I've never had an interest in it.  And why should I?  Jeremy cans for us!  Well, after visiting my good buddy Jess, who had just made jam a couple weeks ago...  I had it in my brain that I would surprise my husband by making jam with all of the blueberries we picked a couple months ago.  He would be THRILLED and impressed too.  :) 

Mostly, because it's like him deciding to spend hours at Target just milling around.  That's what I like to do, but it's something that makes him want to run for the hills. But if he knew it would make me happy, he'd do it.

So I knew he'd be really happy at the sight of me putting all the effort into canning something. 

So, here's me canning...  and, by the way I just popped open a jar for the first time, and it was SO yummy!  I sorta thought that it wouldn't set properly, me being a newbie and all.. and just not that into it.  But I do plan on doing it again in the future.  It was really fun.  (well, after I got my screaming baby to bed... I chose a really bad time to start the process... not sure why I didn't wait a few more minutes!?)

It was just so satisfying to pick something, can it, then eat it! 





 Look at these beautiful things!
I was so excited to show Jeremy, that I led him into the house and made him close his eyes.  He was a very good sport.  I wonder if he thought I was going to show him a positive pregnancy test or something..  ha ha.  Because that is something that I would have done in the past!


 this is all you need...  it was extremely easy

I probably could have chosen a better method for smooshing them.. but this worked just fine.  I tried the blender to mash them a bit, but they were frozen and didn't have enough liquid in them to get anywhere. 



thankfully we already had all the supplies... 

 And this water bath canner was my Moms!  It was the one she used when I was a girl.  Ahhhh...

And as a treat for me when I was done, I stuck the leftover mashed blueberries in the blender with some vanilla yogurt, and coconut creamer, and boy was it ever yummy! 


1 comments:

JJ said...

GOOD JOB, GIRL! You have to read my canning story in Aug/Sept. Country Extra!!! :)