Two friends of mine have told me about this book in the last couple years.. and I decided to check it out for myself today at http://www.titus2.com/ ... looks like it will address the things I've been desiring for our household! I know some things need to change if we are going to add a baby to the family sometime down the road, and a third homeschooler to the mix next Fall.
The things I need to be doing and desire to be doing (laundry, general cleaning, meal planning, etc...) fall by the wayside everyday it seems... and our homeschooling is haphazard (just getting the bare minimum completed.. no fun in my mind!) Change is needed! I am intrigued by large families and look up to them. I love to see how things are done in their homes from mealtimes, to chores, to taking care of babies and toddlers, to homeschooling... and I think this book delivers on all accounts! If you have read this book, or have experience implementing it.. please share with all of us even if you have shared with me already! I'd love the reminders... and I'm sure others would love some encouragement too.
Also, my friend Laura R. told me about the Duggar family's new book The Duggars: 20 and Counting!, which I plan to read as soon as I can get my hands on a copy! I'm hoping to interlibrary loan that puppy Monday morning... have I mentioned I LOVE public libraries?? Well, I do.
Anyways, I've never seen the Duggar's show on TLC, but heard they are a super cool family... and their book provides practical suggestions for some issues I'm facing it sounds like. I just read this quote about them when searching for the title of their book,
"Even though their supersize family (and Jim Bob's fundamentally grandiose nature) might lead you to believe these people are a bunch of unstable crazies, if you watch you'll find they are some of the nicest, most solid, decent and charming folks you'll ever hope to meet..."
Please leave a comment if you've read either book, I'd love to hear what you think!




6 comments:
my missionary friend Mary has used this book. She handed it to me. I guess, with only three and them being so close together, we fit everything in. I just rotate their chores, and schedule fun part of school first and they must finish the disciplines after (math, reading, spelling, grammar, handwriting).
However, the one thing that I liked that Mary is doing is having different Play times scheduled so that the older kids play with the younger kids so more one on one that is needed for Mom to have with the new readers etc.
I also like the books suggestion for play outside. But, since we don't have a TV and we limit the computer time to 30 min; my kids like to be outside. It helps her and I could see it would be necessary.
I hope this helps.
I bought it, like alot of her suggestions, even put together a sample schedule. I think we followed it only two days, but did get quite a bit more accomplished. Instead of putting the exact school subject in each time slot, I think I need to just say "school", especially since we're just in kindergarten. It's hard with the two younger ones; obviously Peter at 15 months doesn't understand a schedule plus he's so busy that I'm constantly pulling him off the piano/table/bathroom counter/whathaveyou. So, yep I sort of tried it, think it's fairly worthwhile. Maybe I'll rework ours, and make it simpler. Thanks for the inspiration! =) -Ruth
Hi Amanda, all the way from Missouri but I wanted to be sure to let you know what a great thing you are on to with this book through Titus 2 ministries!!! First of all the information you can get from this website is awesome and then the book itself was a huge help to me when I got started this last year. From the beginning they say that it takes a little sit down time to figure out what you need to accomplish for yourself through the day and then implementing everyone elses things that need to be accomplished. It has been an enormous tool for us and one that I do adhere to very faithfully...the kids have done very well with the schedule up for school, play,lunch, chores, etc. At this point they can do a day completly on their own when I have to run to town and daddy is outside working (age 10 and 7 and 2.5) I do set aside time for the kids to have play time with their little brother so that I then have focused time with the other child for one of the tougher subjects. I am rambling on but truely I have so appreciated this great resource.
PS you will also be encouraged with the Duggar's book. If you ever have a chance look them up on the internet...they hold up strong christian values and the kids are being trained very well. Bless you in your every day adventures. Love from Trisha Mitchell
Nope. NEver read either one. But, I would like to.
Hey friend! I have the Duggar's book if you want to borrow it. It's an awesome book, I re-read portions of it every now and then for bits of encouragement! I also have The Managers of Their Homes on it's way to me right now, I love everything from the Maxwell family. They have a great book called Homeschooling With a Meek and Quiet Spirit that I LOVE too. I'm finishing it up now. If you're looking for some great books for the kiddos the Moody family books on the titus2 website are great, they are written by one of the Maxwell children, they are J's faves!
The Duggars are certainly amazing people...no doubt about it! I tried that book "Managers of Their Homes" many years ago. Although at first it did bring a level of efficiency into our home that was refreshing, I soon found it restricting as I realized it did not fit my personality very well. Although I am sure there are ways to mesh the program to fit those who like to "play it by ear" (me) and those who are planners by nature, and get the benefits of a more efficient and purposeful life. Just my two cents. But I think certainly worth the money, as I am sure you are the sort of person able to make it work for you even if some tweaking is needed. You don't seem as ADD as I am ...Hehehe :)
Post a Comment