My hands-down favorite is Wives and Daughters... a novel Elizabeth Gaskell penned and embarassingly isn't worth the read! I've started it twice and just can't do it. If you've had better luck with it, let me know and maybe I'll try again because I LOVE the story! Molly Gibson is a wonderful character... watch it, you'll love it. Our local Blockbuster has it, if yours doesn't they'll order it for you!
Molly and Roger
Then there is the BBC's new version of Sense and Sensibility. For years I've loved the '95 Hollywood version with Kate Winslet and Hugh Grant, BUT that was until I saw this one! It is longer and more in depth of course and SO good! And none of the actors are Hollywood-ish.
I own it if you want to watch it, and Blockbuster has it.

I'm one of the few that likes the new one more!!!
My husband would disagree, he likes the old one... yes, he watches them and loves them right along with me. Thank you to his parents for raising a cultured boy! :)
I love the acting, music, and cinematography of the new one. (I have the soundtrack, it's so nice to listen to during the day) Yes, it's less of the entire story, but well done nonetheless. To those of you (you know who you are) who refuse to watch the new one, you're missing out! We watched it again last night actually. Drew walked out of his room and said, "Mom, you've watched this so many times!"



But how can you beat Colin Firth as Mr. Darcy! It's funny, my kids call him Mr. Dah-cy because that's what they call him in the movie! Funny, funny.
What are your favorite British films?
And which Pride and Prejudice floats your boat?

And then there's the New Vs. Old Pride and Prejudice!


4 comments:
hi. i love this post. These are some of the best movies i know. i am not sure i have a solid preference on P&P, because Colin Firth is wonderful as Darcy. I have had the new BBC Sense and Sensibility on my tivo since they showed it in march on PBS, it was amazing, and i watch it over again from time to time. i am going to have to watch wives and daughters...it looks great. i might even have it on my netflix list already. i love reading your blog!!
Ditto the new Sense and Sensibility. By far my fave. I had it on the DVR until I heroically deleted it to make room for more kids shows. I really regret that decision...
I'm ganna have to go check these out again...it has been awhile. I actaully just rented it as book on tape through the online library...something for the ipod when I am on the elliptical. I'll keep you posted after I rent these again!!! I have not seen Wives and Daughters yet. Thanks, I will go check it out!
DON'T read Wives & Daughters unless you know ahead of time that Mrs. Gaskell died before she finished the book! That beautiful scene in the rain at the end of the movie isn't there! I nearly threw that hu-whoppin book across the room...
Post a Comment