Tuesday, August 19, 2008

You hit the nail on the head, son. Twice.

Here are a couple of recent quotes out of my 7 year old's mouth. They blew me away! One in a funny way and one in a WOW way.

Gavin: "Mom, make some more!" (he was talking about some kind of food I'd made and he said it in a cute, excited way)
Drew: "Moms are Moms. You need to say please make some more. Moms aren't servants."

Thank you, son for acknowledging that I am indeed not a servant (in that way)! But, I am a servant by choice in serving my family and others in ways that please God. Sometimes my attitude needs some tweaking, but my four little ones and Jeremy are a joy to serve.

Okay, here's the WOW one. He randomly said this during lunch a couple weeks ago. I wrote it down right away because I never want to forget it.

After sitting at the table pondering for a moment... Drew said, "I think God is better than I think."

He continued by listing off the reasons why in this order:

1) He lets people make their own decisions.
2) He's nice.
3) He does miracles for people that don't believe in Him.
4) He lets us have a good home.
5) He brought Jesus down to earth to save us.

Thank you, sweet son, for reminding me that God is indeed "better than I think!" That same boy struggles with sin just like the rest of us, but is still able to ask for forgiveness, move forward, and glorify God with his words. I have to laugh thinking about the last two days with him. He has lost the use of his bike for 2 days, his computer time for a week, and spent an hour on his bed! That all happened in a 24 hour period! He struggles just like the apostle Paul did as stated in the Bible and as we all do today. Drew always says, "My brain wants to do right things, but my body just doesn't do it."

That is exactly (in 7 year old terms) what Paul was saying in the Bible in Romans 7:15: "I do not understand what I do. For what I want to do I do not do, but what I hate I do."

But to Drew's credit, the first thing he did before breakfast this morning was grab the electric sweeper in the kitchen and clean up because he said there were too many crumbs. No matter how exasperating some moments with him can be, he is so sweet, loving, and thoughtful. And later in the day he told me I looked like I needed to sit down and take a break because I was working too hard. I laughed really loudly and he said, "What??? You do!"

I always grab him and hug him and remind him that he was my first baby. And that I used to do all of the same things with him that I now do with our sweet Annika. He loves that, and is fascinated at the fact that he was WAY chubbier than her!



Chubba Lubba Drew at 7 months

2 comments:

Anita said...

Thanks for the great post Amanda. What a gift to have such a family with children that love the Lord and are growing in their "childlike faith." We have much to learn or at least be reminded of from children.

Hope ya'll are doing well! I miss you!

Anita

Anonymous said...

I am so inspired by your rolemodel! I keep comin' back to your blog for more. Your kiddos are so funny,smart and cute! I look forward to having my baby and learning more as I have this adventure called parenting!