Thursday, November 16, 2006

Birthday Boy

We celebrated Drew's 6th birthday 2 weeks ago! He has been excited about turning six since the day after his 5th birthday. I think we talked about it nearly every day in this last year...

So he decided he wanted to have a Pirate party, and of course Legos were involved. Drew created his cake decorations all by himself! He is incredible with a box of Legos.

He was very "excited" if that is the right word, when opening presents. After he opened every present he exclaimed, "It's my favorite (fill in the blank)!!!!!!" It was pretty hilarious.

He received some birthday cash in some cards that totaled $37. Which is very fun for a 6 year old! (or any of us!) And so we made the trek to our favorite local toy store, which the boys affectionately call "Miss Mary's Toy Store." And he had in his mind that he was giving Gavin $5 of his money because Gavin gave him $5 from his money in July. But after shopping around for a bit, he found the perfect Playmobil set that was just $17. He said, "Mom, I don't need anything else, Gavin can have the rest of the money!" After I picked up my jaw, I said, "Really? Wow, Drew that is really kind of you!" So a thrilled 4 year old picked out his own set for $17 and Drew gave the remaining 3 dollars to Miss Morgan... She picked out a Playmobil figure that she calls "Cinderella." Or as she says it, "Re-wa."

It is very fun to see glimpses of selflessness in our Drew. Sometimes it feels like he is the most selfish boy on the planet! We told him how proud we are of him and how we can see that Jesus lives in his heart by his actions. He just kept saying, "Yeah, I just wanted Gavin to have a Playmobil set, it's not fair that they're all mine." Precious boy.

Jeremy and I commented that we would have NEVER given up our birthday money as kids. Honestly I think it would be hard for me now! I guess I should take a lesson from my son. Ouch.

1 comments:

Anita said...

Great story, great kids...humbling to say the least. Can't say I ever did that, or am eager to do that even now. It's the Bacon frugal mentality! :)

Anita